Author Topic: Painting the new Hurricane  (Read 5331 times)

Brian

Re: Painting the new Hurricane
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:09:34 AM »
You'll have to add the clips that hold the gun panels or there drop off  ;D

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:30:26 AM »
Yes Glen, I have removed the roundel's and the panels on the wings will be drawn in, if they were raised on the engraving I think this would look wrong. I will also add in the bolts holding on the panels etc.

Glen

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:17:31 AM »
Nick, it seems you have removed the roundels on the upper wings surfaces, true? There also appears to be an extra canopy frame running fore-and-aft on the top. The gun bay panels are missing on the upper wing surface. This area had a lot of wear-and-tear and is riper for paint chipping, stains, etc. (if you do that sort of thing).

Cheers,

Glen

Nicholas Ball

• Secretary
Painting the new Hurricane
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 06:58:49 AM »
As stated yesterday, I will be reviewing and painting this new figure from Locust.

The first thing that makes this an interesting and nice piece is the amount of action and atmosphere within the piece itself, and the very clever design of using the white cliffs of Dover to 'hold' the piece up.

There has been a debate on the right wing tip being a bit too narrow, and although this is true, it is only a fraction out of proportion when compared to the left wing tip, so once painted, I hope this may well be disguised. It probably needed to be a tad longer, but even so I'm not bothered, it's still a nice piece to have and only a real aircraft enthusiast is going to notice.

I have also removed the engraved roundels, as I prefer to paint these on a smooth surface.

The engraving itself, is very very good, the cliffs are exceptionally detailed, as is the Hurricane, with numerous panel and frame lines. . The propellors have a roundel to depict movement, and as you can see from the undercoat on the aircraft, it does fade with colour on it, so I hope once I have painted on the movement lines etc. it will work out quite well.

I am undercoating with Humbrol, as this will dull the oil paint when I get to this stage. One small note here, when thinning Humbrol to get an ultra smooth finish, use Winsor and Newton Sansador paint medium. This is a solvent like Turps, but does not evaporate as quickly, so it does not dry the paint out . It  also contains a binder so the paint flows without brushmarks whilst covering with one coat. It can be used with ALL paint type's, whether it be oil or water based. By adding a very small drop of liquin, a very good glaze can be produced. ( this will be explained later as I progress ) 

And so to the Figure :-

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]