Author Topic: Does intense cold affect metal soldiers?  (Read 1286 times)

jimrjim

• Associate
Re: Does intense cold affect metal soldiers?
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 12:02:58 PM »
Thanks PJDelhury,[size=78%]It will be in coastal Maine so we both understand New England cold![/size][/font]

PJDeluhery

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 11:26:12 AM »
I have always been advised to keep my collection at a steady room temperate of 68-72 degrees with controlled humidity. I think it's a bad idea to keep you valued collection in an unheated shed, but I admit I have no scientific knowledge to back up that opinion. But, why would you take a chance?
BFFS Member,
N. American Rep.
If the world is wrong; then right your own self...Brother Dave Gardner

jimrjim

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 11:01:04 AM »
Thank you, thank you. The responses are helpful and will lead me to new questions. I believe the Heinrichsens are 55% tin, 39-40% lead and 5% antimony (an element I only know through my study of the periodic table fifty years ago!)
If anyone has any direct experience do let me know.
Back out to the sub-freezing weather for now.

zinnmartina

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »
My knowlege is that the tin figures can break more easy.

Important is the tin and pewter composition.
If they are painted with oil the colours they can lose structures, too.
About Heinrichsen in special it is difficult. If the figures before 1914 they have generally a very high tin percentage and are more flexible.I noticed that after WWI the percentage of pewter is higher - some are in really dark grey. Inoticed it when it did repaint some.About colours in the 19th century they did many time used spiritus colours without priming. the colours can easly fade away. My opinion best no presentation.After the WWI they did use "Lack" colours these are very strong.My extra tip for storage - do not use foam, Use paper or carton.

Christian

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 06:28:58 PM »

Hi,

I can only tell something about tin figures!

If you keep tin figures too cool, chemical reactions can occur on the surface of the figures, corrosion takes place and forms the so-called tin plague.

As I know, the limit is 13-14 degrees Celcsius, in the positive range!
Please, keep the figures warmer.

And a piece of advice to all collector friends:

If you are offered tin figures (in a circle of friends, neighborhood or on ebay), where the old owner says that these figures were on the attic or in the basement for years, then you better stay away!
Most of these figures have the tin plague.

BG
Christian
Christian, Kettwig (Germany)
Privatoffizin Kettwiger Zinnfiguren / Kettwiger tin figures

gerhard

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 03:31:06 PM »
Well - there is the tin pest.Maybe this link can help:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_pest
I am not en expert in chemics. But I heard of Zinnfiguren which was destroyed through the "Zinnpest" (so it is called in german)Maybe urban legends?
But - Zinnfiguren are of alloy.
I hope I could help you a little.

jimrjim

• Associate
Does intense cold affect metal soldiers?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 02:09:29 PM »
Greetings from the north. I am considering building a small shed to store and display my collection of factory painted "pewter-alloy" Heinrichsen figures. I would prefer not to heat this building as I head to warmer climates in the winter. My hometown temperature can go as low as brief encounters of -10 Fahrenheit/ -25 Celsius and regularly drifts below freezing for up to four or five days at a time. I know how these temperatures affect me...badly. Any thoughts on how they might affect my zinnfiguren? Thank you for your input in advance.